Elder Lufkin departed SLC Airport at 9:45 AM, Monday, March 30, for Korea. Before leaving SLC, he was able to call me and visit for a while. We had a plan that he would call from Los Angeles Airport around 12:00 PM, so when the phone rang at 8:30 AM I wasn't expecting my missionary! I answered the phone and some stranger was talking to me in what I thought was Spanish. It was Jess with a Korean greeting. It was great to hear his voice.
Jess said there were 11 Elders traveling with him to Korea.
His luggage was over weight, so he had some last minute adjusting to do...he threw a few things away, gave some things to the other Elders and was finally ready to check his bags.
Jess said when he arrives in Korea he is sure the communication (or lack of) would be pretty overwhelming. At the MTC he could understand his teacher, but the Korean investigator he spoke with, spoke faster and with an accent that was was MUCH harder to understand. Overall, he said the language has been easier than he thought, but the sentence structure is difficult-subject, object, verb. I've heard from many returned missionaries that it takes about a year before you feel that you can communicate adequately, but the Korean people are patient and tolerant with those attempting to learn their language.
Jess promised to send pictures soon and said he will be calling on Mother's Day :).
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment